Sean T. McBeth
I work at Diplomatic Language Services, where I am the head of Immersive Software Development. As a senior software architect, I build virtual and augmented reality games, training simulations, and abstract data visualizations. Audio synthesis and processing, computer vision, peer-to-peer networking, real-time communication, hardware prototyping, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) are other areas in which I work. I've worked across the range of desktop, Web, mobile, embedded systems, and relational database systems.
My current work is focused on Immersive Media. I've successfully bootstrapped and deployed multiple VR projects for Google Cardboard, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and Gear VR and AR projects for HoloLens and iOS. I've also built a number of hardware prototypes in radio and wireless input devices. Before VR, I built several analytics-heavy OLTP applications for desktop, Web, and mobile Web.
These are some of my current side-projects. I name all of my projects after plants. For more information on my VR and AR capabilities, please see my XR devices page at the following link: XR devices.
- Juniper: Juniper is a Unity3D framework for building cross-platform VR and AR applications.
- Calla: Calla is a spatialized audio chat app for meetups and parties. Calla on GitHub.
- Primrose: Primrose is a syntax-highlighting text-editor that renders to an HTML5 Canvas element. Useful for generating textures for WebGL apps. Primrose on GitHub.
- Potato VR: Potato VR is a new project, coming soon.
Talks & Interviews
These are talks and podcasts that I've done in the past.
- Project Genesiz: Virtual Reality Implications & Insights with Sean McBeth: I chatted with a Zoomcast on VR, Internet privacy, and learning.
- I was scheduled to talk at UMD MAVRIC Conference 2020, but the COVID-19 pandemic has caused an indefinite delay.
- UMD MAVRIC Conference 2019: I spoke on accessibility for immersive applications and devices, software, and design techniques for achieving better access. (Watch VR and AR for Everyone on YouTube)
- CDK: Virtual Reality (VR) vs Augmented Reality (AR) Which Tech Will Win the Battle?: I spoke on the current state of the Augmented Reality market, both of the progress of hardware and on design best-practices, with recommendations on how to get started in AR software development, primarily in the context of Enterprise-level software consulting.
- UMD MAVRIC Conference 2018: I spoke on my experience at the Fallingwater Immersive Design Residency. (Fallingwater Institute)
- DC ACM SIGGRAPH, November 2017: I spoke on the history and current state of VR on the Web.
- DCVR, June 2017: I spoke on getting started with Augmented Reality programming.
- NOVA National Society of Collegiate Scholars': I was the keynote speaker for their annual event at Northern Virginia Community College's Loudoun campus.
- The Creative Bar: Episode 16: I was interviewed on a podcast about entrepreneurship.
- AR In Action 2017: I spoke on two panels on haptics and content development.
- The Virtual Reality Observer: I was interviewed for a tech blog about the future of VR.
- Lean+Agile DC: I gave a talk on rapid application development for VR.
- NOVAVR: I spoke on a panel about the current state and future of Virtual and Augmented Reality.
- VR/AR With The Best: I gave a webinar and ran personal Q&A sessions on using Primrose to build VR applications.
- Stratford University: I described the essentials of Virtual Reality for Stratford's Computer Science/Information Technology students.
- DCVR Breakout Session #5: I conducted a seminar on getting started with WebVR through Primrose.
- CodePen DC: I spoke on the emerging WebVR API and how developers can get started.
- Sean McBeth on Primrose and WebVR development (Dev Diner): I was interviewed for a blog about learning VR programming.
- DC Entrepreneur: Episode 2: I was interviewed on a podcast about entrepreneurship.
- 2nd Annual DCVR Innovation Panel: I spoke on a panel about the current state and future of VR.
- MAKE Magazine, Issue 35: Making Pigments: I wrote an article about making paint pigments from basic chemicals.
These are articles online that have talked about my work.
- DC Inno: A DC Virtual Reality Startup Now Lets You Feel in VR.
- Daily Free Press, Boston University: AR in Action features current and future developments in technological field.
- VentureBeat: How WebVR will make virtual reality massively available.
- The Hoya, Georgetown University: First East Coast Virtual Reality Arcade Opens in DC.
- TechRadar: How one of the first VR arcades will bring us together in our own little worlds.
- Sensics blog: Why WebVR.
- SitePoint: Build Virtual Reality in VR with Primrose and WebVR.
- DC Inno: The State of DC Virtual Reality Innovation: Part 1.