Sean T. McBeth
I am a freelance software consultant in virtual reality, augmented reality, games, simulation, graphics, abstract data visualization, audio synthesis and processing, computer vision, peer-to-peer networking, desktop, Web, mobile, real-time communication, hardware prototyping, embedded systems, reporting, GIS, and relational database systems.
My current work is focused on Virtual Reality and electronics. I've successfully bootstrapped and deployed multiple VR projects for Google Cardboard and HTC Vive, as well as a few hardware prototypes in radio and wireless input devices. Before VR, I built several analytics-heavy OLTP applications for desktop, Web, and mobile Web.
My projects usually go from concept to first-version in 1-to-2-month timeframes. I emphasize open communication with stakeholders, frequent issue and user-story tracking and review, correct, normalized relational database design and simple, best-practice-based, DRY, agile software development. I maintain an extremely broad set of skills to bring to bear on your project.
- Primrose: build VR experiences in your browser
- Plume: a VR teleconferencing system for the Web
- Organizer for Alexandria Code & Coffee.
- Co-organizer for DC Realities.
- Organizer for Alexandria VR Meetup.
- Participant in the W3 WebVR Community Group.
Talks & Interviews
- NOVA National Society of Collegiate Scholars': I was the keynote speaker for their annual event at Northern Virginia Community College's Loudoun campus.
- The Creative Bar: Episode 16.
- The Virtual Reality Observer.
- AR In Action 2016: I spoke on two panels on haptics and content development.
- Lean+Agile DC: I gave a talk on rapid application development for VR.
- NOVAVR: I spoke on a panel about the current state and future of Virtual and Augmented Reality.
- VR/AR With The Best: I gave a webinar and ran personal Q&A sessions on using Primrose to build VR applications.
- Stratford University: I described the essentials of Virtual Reality for Stratford's CS/IT students.
- CodePen DC: I spoke on the emerging WebVR API and how developers can get started.
- Sean McBeth on Primrose and WebVR development (Dev Diner).
- DC Entrepreneur: Episode 2.
- Several events for DCVR, our local VR enthusiasts' meetup.
- MAKE Magazine, Issue 35: Making Pigments.
- A DC Virtual Reality Startup Now Lets You Feel in VR (DC Inno)
- AR in Action features current and future developments in technological field (Daily Free Press, Boston University)
- How WebVR will make virtual reality massively available (VentureBeat)
- First East Coast Virtual Reality Arcade Opens in D.C. (The Hoya, Georgetown University)
- How one of the first VR arcades will bring us together in our own little worlds (TechRadar)
- Why WebVR (Sensics blog)
- Build Virtual Reality in VR with Primrose and WebVR (SitePoint)
- The State of DC Virtual Reality Innovation: Part 1 (DC Inno)